Skip to main content

Cold Hands, Warm Heart


My son, Holden, strapped his GoPro to our dog, Tucker, and we let him run around the park. We joked about the lame footage that would be on the camera once we reviewed it: Tucker biting at my son's bike tires and eating clumps of snow.

When we got to the top of the hill, a young boy seemed to appear out of nowhere. He called out to us, asking if Tucker was a German Shepherd. I asked if he wanted to meet him. He quickly said yes and ran over to us. As he got closer, I noticed that he was just wearing tennis shoes and the snow was already thickly caked onto his laces.  On his upper body, he simply wore a thin rain jacket and a puffy vest. When he removed his hands from his pockets he wasn't wearing any gloves. He asked to throw Tucker's snowy ball anyway. The icy ball stung his fingers and he shook them for the warmth to return.  I asked him where his gloves were.  He said his mom still needed to buy him some.  He said he just keeps his hands in his pockets. I asked if he wanted to wear my gloves. He took one look at my coral, polka-dotted fleece gloves and declined. After two more throws of the ball, I asked him again.  This time, he wasted no time slipping the coral, polka-dotted fleece gloves on to his fingers.

He asked me what time it was. He said the library opened at noon today and he was going to spend his day there, but was waiting for it to open. Would I tell him when it opened, he asked me. He was so gentle and sweet and genuine. He asked us a lot of questions about Tucker.  We asked him if he had a dog. He paused and stared at Tucker, his eyes not leaving the dog.  "I had a pitbull. I used to run around the house with her and she would never get tired." He bent down and began to pet Tucker gingerly.  I asked if he still had his dog. He stood upright, still looking at Tucker, his voice lower now. "No, when the police kicked down our door, she was the first to run downstairs. The cop was scared and shot her in her face and in her jaw."

We all got quiet then. Holden broke our silence by asking the boy if he wanted to throw the ball again for Tucker. He did. Holden and I had not planned on being at the park for that long. I was beginning to feel the cold in my feet. Tucker was getting worn down, so much so that he lay in the snow, panting.  

We made small talk with him until we knew the library was open and he could go inside and get warmed.  When I told him we were heading home, he looked down at the gloves on his hands. He slowly brushed the snow from them, as if to ensure he returned them in the same non-snowy manner he received them. "Will you keep those for me?" I asked him.  "It would make me feel better if you kept them." He looked down and grinned and said "Yes."

We put the leash on Tucker and said goodbye to the boy. I thanked him for helping us wear Tucker out. "We couldn't have done it without you", I told him. We began to walk in opposite directions, he toward the library, and Holden and I down the hill. Neither Holden nor I said anything for a long time. Then, Holden broke our silence by saying "Imagine having your door kicked in by the police and your dog shot. Imagine not having gloves. Not having gloves."

Then we talked about how very sweet the boy was, despite it all. 


     

Comments

  1. You were meant to meet this kiddo on that random day. He treasured the encounter, the dog play and those coral gloves more than you'll ever know.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ironton...Anyone? Anyone?

I recently spent two days in downtown Cincinnati.  I could have spent two thousand more.  The city is magical.  Everywhere you turn, an artsy painted building, specialty shops, restaurants, business suits, hipsters, music and...money. One morning walking to work, I dodged scaffolding, skirted orange temporary fencing, performed in a brief ballet with burly construction workers, and almost fatally shared space with a home furnishings truck.    At first, I was overcome by all of it.  Then I realized that it spoke more than what I was seeing on the surface.  Construction means things are happening here.  People are moving in, people are settling in, people are buying in to this city and its magic.  Who wouldn't? In the short time I was there, I ate edamame at a trendy Japanese sushi bar, sipped coffee at a Belgian waffle house, had a cocktail in the business district and a beer in the arts district.  If you live in downtown Cincinnati, this is your everyday life, and trust me,

You Messed It Up Again.

Our son, Holden, recently signed up for a lifeguard course.  I was certain that the amount of hours he would have to commit to the course would turn him away.  Not to mention that it was being held during the most glorious weekend weather we'd had in months.  From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, his mind was not on Instagram or You Tube video of BMX stunts. No, there was no time for that.  He had to be hyper-focused on compressions and breaths and making sure he called out the "tweet-tweet-tweet" of the whistle during his drowning victim scenarios. Each evening, Holden came home exhausted.  We watched him use just enough energy to eat dinner and share a little bit about that day's lesson.  He was showered and nestled in his covers earlier than in his toddler years.  Part of us felt badly for him.  He was missing movie nights, favorite restaurant breakfasts, and the spring-like weather.  He would mention it in passing, "It sucks that I can't be riding my bike tod

Open Letter to the Man Who Sleeps in Our Stairwell

You startled me.  When I turned to walk up the parking garage stairway and saw you lying over in the corner, you startled me.  You didn't mean to, I know.  It's just that I'm not used to seeing anything over in that corner of the Washington Park Garage , let alone a body.   I took a few steps forward and my hand took hold of the stair rail as if to begin my ascent.  But I couldn't.  I had to pause for a moment to get a good look at you.  You were lying on your stomach, using your bag as a pillow.  My body took a chill when I thought of yours pressed against the cold, cold concrete.  Your coat was decorated with black scuff marks, dirt, and stains.  It wasn't a proper winter coat. As one would do for a cranky toddler, I began to rummage through my purse looking for something, anything, to give you.  I cupped the contents of the bottom of my purse for anything packaged, edible.  I sifted through the lip gloss, pens, and grocery store receipts.  I was only able to