Skip to main content

Open Letter to the Man Who Sleeps in Our Stairwell

You startled me.  When I turned to walk up the parking garage stairway and saw you lying over in the corner, you startled me.  You didn't mean to, I know.  It's just that I'm not used to seeing anything over in that corner of the Washington Park Garage, let alone a body.  

I took a few steps forward and my hand took hold of the stair rail as if to begin my ascent.  But I couldn't.  I had to pause for a moment to get a good look at you.  You were lying on your stomach, using your bag as a pillow.  My body took a chill when I thought of yours pressed against the cold, cold concrete.  Your coat was decorated with black scuff marks, dirt, and stains.  It wasn't a proper winter coat.

As one would do for a cranky toddler, I began to rummage through my purse looking for something, anything, to give you.  I cupped the contents of the bottom of my purse for anything packaged, edible.  I sifted through the lip gloss, pens, and grocery store receipts.  I was only able to produce some loose and very dirty Snow Caps candies.

I failed you.

I began to walk up the stairs feeling defeated.  As I reached the ground floor, Washington Park Events photographs were streaming across the television up on the wall.  They showed pictures of green grass, happy folks, and sun.  I thought about the warmth and happiness being depicted on the ground floor and what must be bitter cold and sadness happening on the lower level.

When I got into work, I decided that I would bring you a cup of hot cocoa.  It would warm you from the inside out.  I thought about your belly on that cold concrete again.  I rummaged through the boxes of K-cups of coffee and tea.  No hot cocoa.  I slung open drawers hoping to find just one, I just needed one K-cup of cocoa.  I was even going to sprinkle some marshmallows in there for you.  You looked like you would be the kind of person who would put marshmallows in your hot cocoa.

I pushed past the boxes of artificial sweeteners and coffee supplies.  I must have looked mad; insane.  A co-worker came up behind me and asked what I was doing.  I told her that I was looking for cocoa.  She told me that we were out of it.  I looked at her, despair written on my face. I really hoped she would reach into the back of the cabinet, and say "Except for this one!" and hand me the cocoa.  But she didn't. 

I failed you.

I leaned against the kitchen window and stared down into the parking garage.  I wondered if you were awake and thinking how nice it would be to have a cup of hot cocoa right now.  I decided that, after work, I would just walk to the 1215 Wine Bar & Coffee Lab and buy you a big cup of hot cocoa.  The fancy kind, rich with chocolate.  That's what I would do.  I pictured your smile as you wrapped your gloved fingers around the disposable cup and drank in it's goodness.

After work, I jaywalked in a diagonal fashion across the street to the parking garage.  I had no time to waste.  You had been waiting on me all day.  Oh, you were probably frozen to the bone by now!  I had to tell you that I just needed you to stay put while I walked a few blocks to get your cocoa.  You were going to love this cocoa.  I zig-zagged in between people walking up and down the stairs just to get to you faster. 

I turned the corner, expecting to see you lying on your stomach, using your bag as a pillow.  But you were gone.

I failed you.



  

Comments

  1. "Give me Your eyes for just one second
    Give me Your eyes so I can see
    Everything that I keep missing
    Give me Your love for humanity
    Give me Your arms for the broken-hearted
    The ones that are far beyond my reach
    Give me Your heart for the ones forgotten
    Give me Your eyes so I can see
    Yeah"

    Brandon Heath - "Give Me Your Eyes" (on YouTube)


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5AkNqLuVgY

    ReplyDelete
  2. How kind of you who though of all you could have done

    When the usual is that the thought ofen never comes.

    Now that you have had some time to think of the opportunity you missed

    There will be another homeless soul for your kindness to be there bliss.

    You did not fail that man, you let no one down

    The chance for kindNess will come again, just do it next time around.

    Peace and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How kind of you who though of all you could have done

    When the usual is that the thought ofen never comes.

    Now that you have had some time to think of the opportunity you missed

    There will be another homeless soul for your kindness to be there bliss.

    You did not fail that man, you let no one down

    The chance for kindNess will come again, just do it next time around.

    Peace and blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ironton...Anyone? Anyone?

I recently spent two days in downtown Cincinnati.  I could have spent two thousand more.  The city is magical.  Everywhere you turn, an artsy painted building, specialty shops, restaurants, business suits, hipsters, music and...money. One morning walking to work, I dodged scaffolding, skirted orange temporary fencing, performed in a brief ballet with burly construction workers, and almost fatally shared space with a home furnishings truck.    At first, I was overcome by all of it.  Then I realized that it spoke more than what I was seeing on the surface.  Construction means things are happening here.  People are moving in, people are settling in, people are buying in to this city and its magic.  Who wouldn't? In the short time I was there, I ate edamame at a trendy Japanese sushi bar, sipped coffee at a Belgian waffle house, had a cocktail in the business district and a beer in the arts district.  If you live in downtown Cincinnati, this is your everyday life, and trust me,

You Messed It Up Again.

Our son, Holden, recently signed up for a lifeguard course.  I was certain that the amount of hours he would have to commit to the course would turn him away.  Not to mention that it was being held during the most glorious weekend weather we'd had in months.  From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, his mind was not on Instagram or You Tube video of BMX stunts. No, there was no time for that.  He had to be hyper-focused on compressions and breaths and making sure he called out the "tweet-tweet-tweet" of the whistle during his drowning victim scenarios. Each evening, Holden came home exhausted.  We watched him use just enough energy to eat dinner and share a little bit about that day's lesson.  He was showered and nestled in his covers earlier than in his toddler years.  Part of us felt badly for him.  He was missing movie nights, favorite restaurant breakfasts, and the spring-like weather.  He would mention it in passing, "It sucks that I can't be riding my bike tod