Skip to main content

What Have We Become?

Six months ago, our four person family was living in a one bedroom apartment.  We had been there for a year, waiting for our home to sell and to find and purchase a new one.  We celebrated every miserable holiday inside those walls.  Our bedroom was the dining room.  Our children shared a bedroom, my son sleeping on an army cot to save space.  We ate on tv trays.  We could hear every step that the neighbors upstairs took.  We heard every cry  and every argument within their family.  And they heard ours.  It was dismal.  Hands down, it was the lowest point of our lives.

I don't think a day went by that we did not feel sorry for ourselves.  Poor us.  We don't deserve this.  We are so above this.  What the hell are we doing in Section 8 housing?  I remember asking myself, "What have we become?"  


I had so much anger toward God.  Driving in my car I would look up and cry out, "Why are you punishing us?  Haven't we been through enough?  Can you not see how much we are suffering?"

But no matter how much I cried and pleaded, nothing ever changed.  As a matter of fact, it worsened.  We found a home to buy that we loved, only to discover that it did not appraise for the contract price.  We thought we were on our way out, but we were back to square one; back to tv trays and army cots.   

Our situation was really beginning to take a toll on our children.  They couldn't have friends over.  Hell, they didn't dare tell their friends where they lived.  They began to hate the kids upstairs.  They hated their music.  They hated the way they would run up and down the stairs, they way they would leave their clean laundry unfolded, in a messy heap on the dryer.  But most of all, they hated how loud they were when they played in the street.  I used to catch the two of my children peering out the curtain of our living room window, eyes glued to the neighbor children.  They watched in amazement as the children used sticks as weapons and shouted curse words to one another.  I would shoo them away from the window but not before hearing how flawed and disgraceful their upbringing was.  "You really should tell their mom how they act" my daughter said to me.  

Then one evening, something in me began to change.  It started after I had been thinking of those neighbor children and their loudness and lonely, mismatched socks on the floor by the dryer.  I remembered a conversation I'd had with their mother when they moved in.  She remarked how happy she was that the upstairs apartment had three bedrooms.  She'd lived all over Price Hill, she said, and this was the best place they had lived in by far.  The best place.  It was then that I realized how selfish I had been, we had been.  We would eventually be getting out of that apartment.  It wasn't happening as quickly as we would like, but we were getting out one day.  This family wasn't.  But they were thankful to be there.  They were happy to be there. 

As a family, we began to look at ways that we could enrich the lives of others.  On Christmas night, we didn't sit in that apartment lamenting about how we didn't have all of our real decorations up, room to play with our new toys, or a dining room table to eat a Christmas meal on.  Instead, we went in search of people who would love to be crammed into that toasty living room, watching the twinkle lights on our pencil tree, and eating a warm meal on a tv tray.  We loaded up in our car and handed out gift cards to an old woman waiting in the cold at a bus stop, a crippled man, slowly making his way to the homeless shelter, and cops working the beat in Price Hill.  Our kids began to argue about whose turn it was to give the next one away.  It was the most glorious argument I had ever heard.


We lived in that apartment for three more months until we lucked into the home of our dreams.  We found a home in College Hill, a neighborhood of Cincinnati.  The past six months have been the best months of our lives.  No kidding.  Our home is on a dead end street.  We have hoot owls in our tree. Random deer walk down our sidewalks.  We can walk to our local coffee shop.  We have a beautiful park at the end of our street.  We know almost every single one of our neighbors, who are the friendliest, most welcoming people I have ever met in my life.  Our children ride their bikes down these picturesque streets of College Hill without a care in the world. 


When we lived in the apartment, my daughter liked to draw things and tape them to her "side" of the room to liven it up and make it look pretty.  On moving day, I began to take them down from the wall. But, I quickly realized that I needed to take a photo to remember this season of our lives.  All those months when I was busy pitying myself, my eight year old was doing a much better job than I, trying to make the best of our living situation.  

Sometimes, out of the blue, one of my children will walk up to me, put their hand on my shoulder and say "Mom, I just love our house."  All those months ago when I was asking myself "What have we become?".  I finally have an answer.  Thankful.  We have become thankful.         
  

 

Comments

  1. Love this, Iris! So truthful and wise. Sometimes we have to be shown how to be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing story on gratefulness and the realization of what you have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ironton...Anyone? Anyone?

I recently spent two days in downtown Cincinnati.  I could have spent two thousand more.  The city is magical.  Everywhere you turn, an artsy painted building, specialty shops, restaurants, business suits, hipsters, music and...money. One morning walking to work, I dodged scaffolding, skirted orange temporary fencing, performed in a brief ballet with burly construction workers, and almost fatally shared space with a home furnishings truck.    At first, I was overcome by all of it.  Then I realized that it spoke more than what I was seeing on the surface.  Construction means things are happening here.  People are moving in, people are settling in, people are buying in to this city and its magic.  Who wouldn't? In the short time I was there, I ate edamame at a trendy Japanese sushi bar, sipped coffee at a Belgian waffle house, had a cocktail in the business district and a beer in the arts district.  If you live in downtown Cincinnati, this is your everyday life, and trust me,

You Messed It Up Again.

Our son, Holden, recently signed up for a lifeguard course.  I was certain that the amount of hours he would have to commit to the course would turn him away.  Not to mention that it was being held during the most glorious weekend weather we'd had in months.  From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, his mind was not on Instagram or You Tube video of BMX stunts. No, there was no time for that.  He had to be hyper-focused on compressions and breaths and making sure he called out the "tweet-tweet-tweet" of the whistle during his drowning victim scenarios. Each evening, Holden came home exhausted.  We watched him use just enough energy to eat dinner and share a little bit about that day's lesson.  He was showered and nestled in his covers earlier than in his toddler years.  Part of us felt badly for him.  He was missing movie nights, favorite restaurant breakfasts, and the spring-like weather.  He would mention it in passing, "It sucks that I can't be riding my bike tod

Open Letter to the Man Who Sleeps in Our Stairwell

You startled me.  When I turned to walk up the parking garage stairway and saw you lying over in the corner, you startled me.  You didn't mean to, I know.  It's just that I'm not used to seeing anything over in that corner of the Washington Park Garage , let alone a body.   I took a few steps forward and my hand took hold of the stair rail as if to begin my ascent.  But I couldn't.  I had to pause for a moment to get a good look at you.  You were lying on your stomach, using your bag as a pillow.  My body took a chill when I thought of yours pressed against the cold, cold concrete.  Your coat was decorated with black scuff marks, dirt, and stains.  It wasn't a proper winter coat. As one would do for a cranky toddler, I began to rummage through my purse looking for something, anything, to give you.  I cupped the contents of the bottom of my purse for anything packaged, edible.  I sifted through the lip gloss, pens, and grocery store receipts.  I was only able to