Skip to main content

You Don't Have to Rush Off

It was like a 1lb. bag of animal crackers and a box of butter mints were the "admission" price to get to spend time with the toddler.  Paw-Paw would have them ready, exchanging them for hugs and the chance to sit and watch the boy move about his living room, picking things up, throwing things down; rearranging any organization he had to the place.  The baby would take every magnet off the refrigerator and move them all into a clump in one spot.  Half of the magnets were holding up pictures of the baby; in Halloween costumes, in swimmies at a pool, or petting animals at the zoo.  The baby especially loved to press the tea kettle magnet, look at his Paw-Paw with a toothy grin and squeal when it whistled.  You could have stopped the clock for the man, he would have been more than grateful to live the rest of his life in that moment.

Paw-Paw soaked up the limited time he had with him, not knowing when he would see the baby again.  After an hour visit in his 90 degree living room, we looked at our watches, picked the baby up and told Paw-Paw it was time to go.  Every time he would say "Well, you don't have to rush off".  But we did.  You see, we were busy.  So many places to go and things to do and people to see.  

We used to sit the baby down and draw pictures for Paw-Paw if we hadn't had the chance to go visit him.  We would ask the baby what he wanted to say to Paw-Paw, then put it in quotes above the picture.  Sometimes it said whatever he was thinking, like "I want a big giraffe".  We put it anyway.  I imagined Paw-Paw, in his long sleeve button down shirt in 80 degree weather, walking to the mailbox to retrieve the latest message from his dear one.  He clung to those letters until the next one would arrive.  

Paw Paw's 95-year-old body eventually grew very weak.  There would be no more visits to his stifling hot living room.  Paw Paw's visits with us were now done in a small, curtain-divided nursing home room with a man next to him wailing that people were trying to kill him.  It made him sad not living in his own home, not having a place for us to sit, except on the side of his hospital bed.  But it made him happy to see his boy.  He tried to pull the boy, now six, up on to his lap so they could just sit together.  He was so weak now, and the boy sensed it.  He climbed up into his Paw-Paw's lap, knowing there are no more magnets to rearrange, or whistling tea kettles.  The two sat, and stared out the window; probably thinking of a nicer time, but not mentioning it.
 
  
As we gathered our things and promised to visit again soon, Paw Paw began to fidget with his hands and wrist.  His voice was garbled and low.  When we got closer, we realized that he was taking his watch off.  He held it high in the air, shaking one end of it and motioning for his boy to come retrieve it.  We fastened it around our son's tiny wrist.  He moved the new trinket about, turning it right-side up, and beamed when the face of it landed in the right spot.  His Paw Paw reached his frail, boney hand out and patted twice on our son's arm.  Paw Paw was satisfied. 

That was the last visit we had with him.  If we had known, we would have stayed longer, we would have covered his room in pictures from our son, we would have sat on the edge of that bed until someone told us we had to leave.    

Paw Paw was right all along.  We didn't have to rush off.

Comments

  1. Beautiful story. It made me tear up. I guess we all are guilty of "rushing off" when we should have stayed just a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iris....this is beautiful. Thank you for writing this....and sharing with us. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ironton...Anyone? Anyone?

I recently spent two days in downtown Cincinnati.  I could have spent two thousand more.  The city is magical.  Everywhere you turn, an artsy painted building, specialty shops, restaurants, business suits, hipsters, music and...money. One morning walking to work, I dodged scaffolding, skirted orange temporary fencing, performed in a brief ballet with burly construction workers, and almost fatally shared space with a home furnishings truck.    At first, I was overcome by all of it.  Then I realized that it spoke more than what I was seeing on the surface.  Construction means things are happening here.  People are moving in, people are settling in, people are buying in to this city and its magic.  Who wouldn't? In the short time I was there, I ate edamame at a trendy Japanese sushi bar, sipped coffee at a Belgian waffle house, had a cocktail in the business district and a beer in the arts district.  If you live in downtown Cincinnati, this is your everyday life, and trust me,

You Messed It Up Again.

Our son, Holden, recently signed up for a lifeguard course.  I was certain that the amount of hours he would have to commit to the course would turn him away.  Not to mention that it was being held during the most glorious weekend weather we'd had in months.  From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, his mind was not on Instagram or You Tube video of BMX stunts. No, there was no time for that.  He had to be hyper-focused on compressions and breaths and making sure he called out the "tweet-tweet-tweet" of the whistle during his drowning victim scenarios. Each evening, Holden came home exhausted.  We watched him use just enough energy to eat dinner and share a little bit about that day's lesson.  He was showered and nestled in his covers earlier than in his toddler years.  Part of us felt badly for him.  He was missing movie nights, favorite restaurant breakfasts, and the spring-like weather.  He would mention it in passing, "It sucks that I can't be riding my bike tod

Open Letter to the Man Who Sleeps in Our Stairwell

You startled me.  When I turned to walk up the parking garage stairway and saw you lying over in the corner, you startled me.  You didn't mean to, I know.  It's just that I'm not used to seeing anything over in that corner of the Washington Park Garage , let alone a body.   I took a few steps forward and my hand took hold of the stair rail as if to begin my ascent.  But I couldn't.  I had to pause for a moment to get a good look at you.  You were lying on your stomach, using your bag as a pillow.  My body took a chill when I thought of yours pressed against the cold, cold concrete.  Your coat was decorated with black scuff marks, dirt, and stains.  It wasn't a proper winter coat. As one would do for a cranky toddler, I began to rummage through my purse looking for something, anything, to give you.  I cupped the contents of the bottom of my purse for anything packaged, edible.  I sifted through the lip gloss, pens, and grocery store receipts.  I was only able to