Skip to main content

It's just hair

My son, Holden, wanted rid of his prohibition haircut. We were in Cincinnati's Clifton neighborhood. It was late. The salons were closed.  I knew there was a small barber shop a few blocks down the street so my daughter, son and I set out to find it. It was still open. 

We walked inside to find three black men cutting three black men's hair. There were two tv's blaring the Emanuel AME church massacre.  There were three black men, staring at us, with electric razors suddenly paused in mid air. It was like we were a record on a player and someone had just lifted the needle. We didn't belong and I recognized that right away. I wanted to turn Holden by his shoulders straight back out the way we came but that thought was interrupted by one of the barbers. "Can I help you?" he said. I tried to think up a lie. Ask where the nearest ATM is, ask if they had seen my lost puppy, ask if they could give me directions to the nearest white place. But I didn't lie. "Can we get a cut?" I mustered. And then it was like the needle was returned to the record. Everything began playing again. The barber said "Sure. Just have a seat. I'll be right with you". And other barbers continued on with cutting hair. 

We looked like fools the three of us; sitting there waiting for a haircut in an all black barbershop. They were probably whispering and making jokes about us.  They probably wanted to drive us to Great Clips. They probably hated us.

One of the men motioned for my son to come sit. Holden explained how he wanted his hair cut. The barber chuckled and said "Show me the picture". Holden pulled out his phone and showed him. The man began to clip away at his hair but not without struggle. He paused and took a step back a few times, planning his next move. The barber next to him told me to have a seat on the bench so I could watch. A young black woman scooted over, greeted me and asked how I was.  

One of the barbers turned those tv's down.  

"Has anyone seen San Andres?" he asked. I asked him if that was the one with The Rock in it. I told him I didn't want to because I wasn't a fan of The Rock. The whole shop began to look at me and gasp. Another barber swept hair from the floor by my feet and said "I thought every woman love The Rock. Even my granny say 'oh he fine'". Even more laugher and smiles after that. He changed the channel to wrestling. They all began to talk about the wrestler being from Cincinnati. "He even look like he from Cincinnati" one guy said. They all erupted in laughter again. 

Our barber probably spent 45 minutes on  my son's $10 haircut.  He brushed my son's face and neck with powder.  He wanted to make sure it was perfect. I tipped him handsomely. 

When my son looked at the barber and said "It's perfect. I love it" the barber beamed. I looked at his station mirror. It was plastered with pictures of black loved ones, clients, and movie stars. We were the only white people in the room other than the TV reporter covering the shooting story. They didn't hate our whiteness. They didn't hate the fact that our skin color was the same as that which just murdered their skin color.  

They asked us to come again.  And we will.  
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ironton...Anyone? Anyone?

I recently spent two days in downtown Cincinnati.  I could have spent two thousand more.  The city is magical.  Everywhere you turn, an artsy painted building, specialty shops, restaurants, business suits, hipsters, music and...money. One morning walking to work, I dodged scaffolding, skirted orange temporary fencing, performed in a brief ballet with burly construction workers, and almost fatally shared space with a home furnishings truck.    At first, I was overcome by all of it.  Then I realized that it spoke more than what I was seeing on the surface.  Construction means things are happening here.  People are moving in, people are settling in, people are buying in to this city and its magic.  Who wouldn't? In the short time I was there, I ate edamame at a trendy Japanese sushi bar, sipped coffee at a Belgian waffle house, had a cocktail in the business district and a beer in the arts district.  If you live in downtown Cincinnati, this is your everyday life, and trust me,

You Messed It Up Again.

Our son, Holden, recently signed up for a lifeguard course.  I was certain that the amount of hours he would have to commit to the course would turn him away.  Not to mention that it was being held during the most glorious weekend weather we'd had in months.  From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day, his mind was not on Instagram or You Tube video of BMX stunts. No, there was no time for that.  He had to be hyper-focused on compressions and breaths and making sure he called out the "tweet-tweet-tweet" of the whistle during his drowning victim scenarios. Each evening, Holden came home exhausted.  We watched him use just enough energy to eat dinner and share a little bit about that day's lesson.  He was showered and nestled in his covers earlier than in his toddler years.  Part of us felt badly for him.  He was missing movie nights, favorite restaurant breakfasts, and the spring-like weather.  He would mention it in passing, "It sucks that I can't be riding my bike tod

Put Yourself in My Shoes

My children don't understand the concept of money.  I like to break it down for them by saying "I had to work 'x' hours to be able to afford those shoes for you!"  Or, "Why did you leave this out in the rain?  I worked 2 days in order to buy that for you!"  I'm pretty sure this technique doesn't work.  My daughter asked me where I was going one morning.  I told her I had to go to work.  "So you can buy me those two Disney princesses?"  Ugh.  Children are self-centered wallet suckers.  I like to heap the guilt on them but my husband just wants them to have all the things he didn't have as a child.  When our daughter loses 3 sets of Monster High doll hands, he simply buys her new dolls.  Although he doesn't agree with her lack of reverence for small doll parts, it makes him happy to spend his money on his girl. When I was in college in Athens, Ohio, I worked at a bookstore.  My boyfriend (now husband) didn't like that I had